Thursday, July 19, 2007

What Is It?




















So I'm trying a new contest, to see if anyone is listening out there. Do you know where this is? Take a guess, and leave it in the comments. Second question: What state is this?

.................

I found this in the papers the other day, and thought you photographers might find it interesting:

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

July 10, 2007,
By Errol Morris

From the New York Times Opinion Blog

Zoom - A Filmaker Under Covers the Hidden Truth of Photo's

Pictures are supposed to be worth a thousand words. But a picture unaccompanied by words may not mean anything at all. Do pictures provide evidence? And if so, evidence of what? And, of course, the underlying question: do they tell the truth?

I have beliefs about the photographs I see. Often – when they appear in books or newspapers – there are captions below them, or they are embedded in explanatory text. And even where there are no explicit captions on the page, there are captions in my mind. What I think I’m looking at. What I think the photograph is about......... more >

4 comments:

Winnemucca's Own said...

My guess is...The back of Winnemucca mountain. Which I would make the state Nevada.

How tricky are you trying to be???

Unknown said...

It looked like Eastern Nevada - but I had no idea what mountain it was - then I cheated and looked at what you titled the photo.

It is Bloody Run Peak. :)

MorsaJones said...

hehe. me too.

DR Drummer said...

When I first saw the picture it looks very similar to Mount Diablo (in the SF Bay Area) and almost as if it was taken from the Altamont Pass area. Your pictures are so intersting that I want to take a trip to Nevada now!