Wednesday, March 28, 2007

VCNV



















Went up to Virginia City last Saturday. What we found was a town full of folks that were dressed up, like they were expecting us. This guy here, I call him Red, was absolutely sure that I was a National Geographic photograper, and said he was expecting me today. Said he had met me the last time we shot Virginia City. Red claimed he had gone to great trouble, and with much difficulty, to aquire a DVD that contained the photo shoot I had done on the last trip. Had to get it from the bartender at the Bucket of Blood Saloon, in fact.


First time I was ever in Virginia City.


People that looked like this were strutting up and down the street, and leaning over the bar rails telling each other tall tales.


If you want to dress up, you can just step into one of the dry goods stores and buy the whole outfit. You can even go into the gun shop and get your self a gun belt, and a toy pistol. At least I hope they were toys.



















It's an amazing 19th century western mining boomtown. The nation's largest Historic Landmark, tucked away right here.


The streets had been taken over by Harley Davidson motorcycles, which were backed in to the curbs in big buches, dozens and dozens of them, and the black leather crowd was holed up in just two or three of the bars, sipping their beer politely and having a nice afternoon visit with their pals.

Blackie here was a deputy sheriff, I watched as he and three mates were all sworn in for the afternoon. Got a badge and everthing. I think part of the oath included a promise to drink beer till dusk.

He beat me in a stare-down.


























Reminded me of Deadwood, in the good old days.

1 comment:

MorsaJones said...

i love that gun picture. it has great lighting. wahoo!

did you get a photo of the dark gunslinger guy? the evil looking one?