Saturday, August 20, 2005

Cross-country cyclists find new threat in White Pine County

Friday, Aug 12, 2005

A group of bicyclists traveling from Philadelphia to San Francisco to raise money and awareness for cancer research had an adventure after leaving Ely and before arriving in Eureka.

When available the riders have been posting messages on a travel journal on the website www.pennride.org.

The big Nevada highlight came on the ride from Ely to Eureka. Halfway up our last climb of the day, Tim was... parents, stop reading here... [Joe now writing] chased for about 4 or 5 minutes uphill by a mountain lion. I was at the top of the hill, and Tim arrived, panting like crazy, and looking kind of wild. It turned out that he had seen a lion cross about 100 metres (this isn't Tim writing, I swear) in front of him, and then, when he passed it, it gave chase and ran after him up the hill for around a mile. I knew he was serious when he met me at the top saying, "Joe, do you have cell service? We have a legitamite [sic] emergency." We flagged down two cars to warn the others still en route of the danger. Luckily everyone made it into town safely, and we have a lovely stay in the county fair grounds. [Joe done writing]Parents, you can start reading again.

6 comments:

MorsaJones said...

my oh my..

have you heard about the guys who're on a campaign to "re-wild" nebraska? they want to bring back the kinds of animals seen on those plains back in the pleistocene (bad spelling i'm sure) era.. cheetahs and such..

i heard about it on npr.

revolutionary45 said...

I guess the antler helmet was a bad idea.

Seriously though, you might start hearing about these encounters more and more. The word i hear is there is quite the lion problem throughout the state.

Still, most people (hunters/outdoor types) spend their whole lives up in the mountains and never even see a lion. Weird that this one would chase a bicyclist up a hill. Mountain lions prefer to hunt by stalk and ambush methods. I am tempted to call b.s.

~Bungalow Bill~ said...

Here is what my friend Henry had to say:

Yeah, that's what they always seem to do... cross in front of
you, then chase. Happened to me once in the Slumbering Hills,
and I've heard others describe the same thing, too.

-Henry

MorsaJones said...

why does it not surprise me that henry, of all people, has been chased by a lion?

Winnemucca's Own said...

I can't think of many places other than the middle of Nevada that it would be worse to be chased by a mountain lion and then get caught.

revolutionary45 said...

I'll be. I have never heard of the chasing thing. I assume Henry was on his bike... guess I will have to put a holster on my Camelbak.