Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Great Britian Trip Report

So, I woke up one October morning last year, looked out my window and there was Windsor Castle.  William the Conquer built the first fortress on this site north of London on the Thames River in 1166.  I had my iPhone in my pocket.  This is the view from my upstairs corner room at the Heart & Garter just across the street.




Windsor Castle was originally built by William the Conqueror in the decade after the Norman conquest of 1066.  William established a defensive ring of motte and bailey castles around London; each was a day's march – about 20 miles – from the city and from the next castle, allowing for easy reinforcements in a crisis.





Across the river, just over the footbridge, is the English town of Eton, the home of Eton College founded in 1440 by King Henry VI.  Princes William and Harry are Old Etonians.





to be cont......
 

1 comment:

Sam Hipkins said...

Ah, at last you write.

I was there at Windsor Castle once upon a time and the queen's flag was flying high, meaning she was there. We attended a concert held at the Theatre Royal Windsor and at one point I turned and look up at the queen's balcony, but sad to say she was not in attendance. I would have waved most elegantly in her direction. Oh well.

Look forward to your next entry,