Sunday, September 19, 2004

So the Hoover starting smoking and smelling heavily of burning rubber about three weeks ago. I turned it over and found the belt was about burnt up cause the bearing on one end of the roller brush was going out. So the thing was running in a bind. I ordered up the new belt and roller, along with a new HEPA filter. 55 bucks, then waited two and a half weeks for the parts to show up. In the mean time the dog hair is getting pretty deep. Well Thursday the parts show up. I install the new roller and belt, and fire that mother up. All seems fine. I can't hardly wait to get started on Saturday.

On Saturday I vacuum the bedroom and hallway, and am working on the dining room when POW, the sucker blows up in a cloud of dust. Came apart so hard it knocked the machine over and blew the secondary filter out the side. The dog came running in from outside to see what had happened. I turned it over, and the belt and new roller were fine.....looked just like new. But I discovered the case that holds the motor was cracked open, and the motor shaft was locked tight. I took the whole thing apart to discover that the blades on the main fan had broken apart, a catostrophic failure. Near as I could tell, it had nothing to do with the belt and roller, but was some kind of fatigue failure of the fan impeller material. Shit. I had just spent 55 bucks and now I need a new vacuum.




No comments: